If you have caring responsibilities for a family member or friend, you can access free support from Carer Gateway. Carers might be supporting someone with disability, a medical condition or a mental health condition, or someone who is becoming more frail as they age. Carers can be anyone – a parent, child, sibling, partner or friend.
An Australian Government initiative, Carer Gateway offers services including:
- In-person and online peer support groups
- Tailored support packages, including planned respite and transport services
- In-person and phone counselling
- Self-guided coaching
- Online skills courses; and
- Access to emergency respite if you are injured or become ill.
If you have different communication needs, Carer Gateway is accessible in a variety of forms, including:
For more information phone 1800 422 737 or go to www.carergateway.gov.au.