The process of getting your first NDIS plan can be lengthy and setting your goals can be one of the most difficult tasks. But goals are there to push you to live your best life possible.
You may have never thought deeply about what your goals are, let alone sharing them with a complete stranger. But the NDIS requires you to set yourself goals and discuss them with your LAC or NDIS planner. Your NDIS plan funding will link to the purchase of services or items that will help you achieve your goals.
What is a goal?
- Goals describe what you want to achieve, develop or learn in life. There are short-term and medium to long-term goals. One way to think about a goal is to consider what’s important to you, and what you want to achieve.
Why does the NDIS need to know my goals?
- Your NDIS funding is based around your goals.
- Your goals will be listed in your NDIS plan and your NDIS funding will help you to try and achieve your life goals.
What are the types of goals?
Become more independent
- Further develop independence with self-care skills and confidence with daily living tasks
- Assistance with cleaning or yard maintenance
- Support that helps you travel to work or other places that will help you achieve your goals
- Increase your ability to access the community for social and recreational activities
- Assistance with interpreting and translating
Build your skills
- Improve your communication
- Further improve your mobility
- Develop skills to build and maintain your relationships
- Training for your support network increasing their capacity to support you
- Learn strategies to manage emotions and build your relationships
- Develop skills to create pathways to build new friendships
Improve your health and wellbeing
- Increase your participation in physical activities
- Support with healthy food options and planning
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
How can you set your goals to get the most out of your NDIS plan?
- You should create your goals around what you want to achieve, but you should also think about what services you want to access or items you need to buy to achieve your goals. Our Top tips for setting NDIS plan goals blog gives you our overview for setting your goals to access the goods and services that you need!